Life’s lessons

What a day!

I know I’ve told you before that I always pick up after Kelly. So imagine my surprise and utter dismay on a recent morning when we came in from our early morning tour of our own yard and I found I had stepped in doggy doo-doo! This was not a stellar beginning for our day and I was not a happy camper!

I took off the shoe, washed it and put it back on ready for another start of the day. Surely, it would get better because this was our day for our nursing home therapy dog visit. Then Kelly decided she didn’t want to eat. Thankfully, she didn’t seem sick, but I really didn’t want her to be turning up her nose at her food as I had just purchased a 40-lb. bag.

The trip to the home was uneventful until about two miles from arrival. I was sitting at a stop light but when the light turned green, the car didn’t want to leave its spot! The motor was running fine, but it seemed to be stuck in place.

I kept revving the motor and finally we moved ahead very slowly and laboriously. Within the mile, the problem seemed to resolve itself somewhat. When I parked, I checked and found a front wheel to be too hot! I already knew it was a brake problem so this just confirmed which one. We went on with our visit but made it a bit shorter than usual. I called the service department at my dealership and explained the problem complete with the fact that even though it had eased up, the wheel was hot upon arrival and I definitely smelled a hot brake.

I was advised to call road service and take it in by tow truck. I made the call and provided all the information they needed. The person I was dealing with said she would be putting me on hold for a minute. Ten minutes later, I was still on hold. (This day was not improving.) I dialed the number again, explained I had been on hold for so long and would like some service.

This time I did get help. But the help that was to be there within the hour as I was assured on my first call didn’t come, didn’t come, and didn’t come. I was just ready to see if I could drive the car to the dealer when the phone rang. My tow truck would arrive within 15 minutes. It did.

He loaded my car on the skid truck but Kelly wouldn’t get in his truck. When the driver tried to lift her in, he couldn’t as she objected so strongly. So he lowered the car again. I put Kelly back car with wide open windows and I rode with the driver.

After all this waiting, it was a relief to find there was no serious problem. A piece of plastic had become wedged between the brake pad and the rotor. The culprit was removed. They cleaned up the rotor and I was ready to go again.

In the meantime, I had spent almost the entire day with this problem. As I said at the outset, “What a day!” Still it did have a good ending in that the problem was not serious. I could have driven it to the dealership without doing further damage had I only known. I was satisfied with my decision of choosing, “better safe than sorry.”

Yes, what a day! It was tiring and taxing but still turned out alright. When I did get home, my neighbor said to come over for supper and I wouldn’t need to cook. That improved the day a whole lot!

One day still ahead of us we who know Jesus as Savior will experience another “what a day” when we arrive at heaven’s gate. In the words of a song, a favorite of mine, “What a day that will be when my Jesus I shall see; When I look upon His face, The One who saved me by His grace, When He takes me by the hand and leads me through the promised land. What a day, glorious day that will be.”

Don’t miss out! Be there for that one.

What a day!