Swanton Middle School has been honored for its commitment to military families. The school was one of just eight in the state to receive the Purple Star Award from the Ohio Department of Education.
The Purple Star Award for military-friendly schools recognizes schools that show a major commitment to students and families connected to the nation’s military. Schools that earn the award will receive a special Purple Star recognition to display on site.
“We are very excited that Swanton Middle School has received the Purple Star Award from the Ohio Department of Education,” said Swanton Superintendent Chris Lake. “The Swanton Local School District is a proud supporter of our nation’s military and all the men and women who defend our nation. It is an honor to work with and provide assistance to the families of our military members. This award is an indication of a commitment that the Swanton Local School District has always been dedicated to upholding.”
A school will be honored with the Purple Star Award if it completes all the required activities, plus one optional activity. The Purple Star Advisory Board, formed by the Ohio departments of Education, Higher Education, Veterans Services and the Adjutant General, helps decide a school’s eligibility for the award.
• The school must have a staff point of contact for military students and families who serves as the primary liaison between them and the school. The liaison completes professional development on special considerations for military students and families under federal law. The Military Children in Ohio’s Schools course is available on the ODE learning management system and may be used to complete this requirement.
• The school maintains a dedicated page on its website featuring resources for military families.
• The school provides professional development for additional staff on special considerations for military students and families.
• The local school board passes a resolution publicizing the school’s support for military children and families.
• The school hosts a military recognition event that demonstrates a military-friendly culture.
“We applaud your commitment to serving military students and families,” said Paolo DeMaria, Ohio Superintendent of Public Instruction, in a letter to Lake. “Your program truly serves as an inspiring model for other schools in Ohio.”
The award is valid for two years.