Evergreen Local Schools officials hope to have a new synthetic turf sports field in place before the fall season begins. On Monday, the Board of Education entered into a contract with Maumee Bay Turf Center for the purpose of installing a recreational synthetic multi-purpose athletic field at a cost not to exceed $689,550.
The board had also considered the installation of a separate natural turf soccer field and irrigation system for both the soccer and existing football field at a cost not to exceed $690,000.
Superintendent Jim Wyse said the synthetic field has a tentative completion date of Aug. 1. It could be used for soccer and other activities in addition to football.
Also at the meeting, the board approved placing an income tax renewal on the ballot at a reduced rate. If approved, the school district income tax rate would drop from 0.5 percent to 0.25 percent. The election is Nov. 7.
• The board approved an overnight field trip for eligible cross country team members, Coach Andrea Hesson and parent chaperones to travel to Pokagon State Park, Angola, Ind., for team bonding and training purposes. Attendees will depart on July 25 and return on July 27.
• Eric Simon was offered a contract to be the new high school athletic director.
• The board approved hiring Robert Stierman as new high school assistant band director.
• The board approved student fees for the 2017-18 school year. Most fees in grades K-8 dropped from last year. There is a range of $12 for first grade, second grade, and Kinderstart to $39 for kindergarten. Grades 9-12 are billed for individual courses with a maximum fee charge of $125.
• Authorized membership in the Ohio High School Athletic Association for the Evergreen High School and Evergreen Middle School 2017 – 2018 school year.
• The board authorized a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between Evergreen Local School District and Defiance College for the purpose of placing teacher education students in the classrooms of the District. Both parties will cooperate to facilitate internships, practicums, or early clinical experiences. The one-year agreement becomes effective from July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018.
• The board accepted an Educational Agreement with Northwest Ohio Juvenile Detention, Training, and Rehabilitation Center for educational purposes for students during any period of detention, at a cost of $38 per day of instruction (week days) effective July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018.
• The board authorized the treasurer to pay the 2017 – 2018 Northwest Ohio Computer Association (NWOCA) Membership & EMIS fees of $40,090.29, and to approve the Technical Service Agreement authorizing the purchase of IEP Anywhere software for a price of approximately $1,278, based on current figures.
• Bruce Smith was approved as a volunteer high school boys assistant basketball coach, pending completion of all pupil activity permit requirements.