Sexting charge could be dismissed


ARCHBOLD – One of two Archbold High School students charged April 13 with felonies involving a sexting case could have the charge against him dismissed this fall.

The 17-year-old admitted to a fifth-degree felony charge of disseminating matter harmful to juveniles during a dispositional hearing June 3 in Fulton County Juvenile Court. He was referred to probation, and faces sentencing Nov. 30 at 1 p.m. before Judge Michael Bumb.

However, should the juvenile comply with all probationary terms the charge against him may be dismissed at or before the fall hearing, resulting in no conviction. A probation report on his progress is due to the court and to Fulton County Prosecutor Scott Haselman 10 days prior to sentencing.

The juvenile probation period can involve restitution and rehabilitative detention. It can continue for no more than six months.

The second juvenile, also 17, faces a pretrial hearing June 16 at 11 a.m. He also was charged with disseminating matter harmful to juveniles, and additionally with voyeurism, a second-degree felony. He has retained an attorney.

Three other students were charged with misdemeanors in the case.

The sexting case came to light last October, when a student told an Archbold High School guidance counselor that nude photos were being electronically distributed among students. The information was relayed to the Archbold Police Department, which in January requested an investigation by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation.

Archbold Area Schools Superintendent Aaron Rex said previously that the sexting activity took place off school grounds, therefore the school district’s only involvement was turning the information over to police. He was not available for comment.