The Evergreen Community Library hosted an Open House on Nov. 1 to celebrate 90 years of service to the community. Staff members were on hand to give tours of our Local Heritage Exhibits, the children’s collection, and The Harriet Loar Early Literacy Center.
Several of the Local Heritage Exhibits such as the WWII exhibit will be on display permanently, while others will be changed periodically in order to bring other local history stories to our community. The Village of Metamora is highlighted in many of the displays, one of the most intriguing having the title “How Metamora was Named.” There are many legends and theories surrounding the naming of the village, and after many hours of research library staff believes they have arrived at the correct answer. It started with the Pilgrims landing in 1620. Those interested can visit the library to find out more.
Members of the Fulton County Genealogical Society, and of the Metamora Area Historical Society, whose collections are housed in the library, were able to share their enthusiasm and services with the public as well.
The staff and board members were pleased to welcome several members of the Rice/Duncan family, who were able to view a display centering on the many businesses created by their ancestor, Samuel L. Rice. Rice was a respected community leader, a philanthropist, and an entrepreneur. Sam Rice Sr. started 8 local businesses including the Metamora Grain Elevator, now The Andersons Metamora location.
Patrons can ask for a tour of their library on their next visit.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU