Five candidates are running for three spots on the Evergreen Board of Education.
KEN KORMANYOS, 68
Education: Bachelor of Science Engineering Physics – University of Toledo.
Marital Status: Married
1. Why are you running for office? I have always been passionate about working to make sure students in my community have strong public schools. After being appointed to the Evergreen School Board in January 2016, I am now running for the office so I can continue to assure that all our students receive the best educational experiences and opportunities possible, while at the same time maintaining fiscal responsibility to the taxpayers. My previous experience on school boards in Northwest Ohio, and more specifically on the Evergreen School Board, gives me the knowledge and insight needed to work within the school’s budget to assure that we are providing our students with the educational foundation they need for future success. Both my adult daughters graduated from Evergreen, and I am dedicated to making sure that current and future students receive the same strong public school education and support that the Evergreen schools and community provided them.
2. Why should people vote for you? I have multiple years of experience successfully serving on Northwest Ohio public education school boards and on the Evergreen School Board, and this gives me the foundation necessary for understanding how schools work, how we can improve, and how we can stay on-budget. I understand the need for standardized testing, but believe that “teaching to the test” is insufficient for providing our students the best overall education to meet the challenges of the future. I have a history of continuously supporting improvements in all educational curricula at all levels. I have a history of demanding fiscal responsibility in school finances, balancing the needs of the students with the wishes of the community.
3. What are your two main goals if elected? As a school board member I will…
1. Provide Evergreen’s students with a complete set of educational experiences and opportunities that will help them advance into successful careers.
2. Assure the public that Evergreen Schools are providing the best educational opportunities possible in a fiscally responsible way.
4. Have you held office before? I am currently serving on the Evergreen Board of Education having been appointed to the position in January 2016. I have prior experience on Northwest Ohio boards of Education. I served a one year appointment on the Sylvania Board of Education in 1997. I was elected twice and served five years on the Rossford Board of Education, 1980-1985, two of the five years as the Rossford Board President.
JASON MILLER, 31
Education: Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering Technology – University of Toledo.
Marital Status: Married to Lindsay Miller
1. Why are you running for office? I am running for school board because I feel inspired to get involved in our school/community. I myself am an Evergreen Alumni who believes it is time to keep Evergreen reaching the high standards we know it can. My children will be attending Evergreen for the next 20 years and I want to contribute what I can to this school.
2. Why should people vote for you? People should vote for me because they want Evergreen to keep pushing and always looking for ways to improve. We have a great community behind this school and need to capitalize on that. I am a highly motivated person who believes that in order to succeed you have to get involved and encourage.
3. What are your two main goals if elected?
Main goals: 1.) It is time to start setting the bar at Evergreen.
2.) Focus on the core group of this school. Making sure our Teachers and Staff have the tools necessary to educate our children to succeed.
4. Have you held office before? No.
DONALD W. SMITH
Education: 1989 Evergreen graduate, 1993 Ohio Nothern University: BSBA with major in business management and marking.
Marital Status: Married for 22 years to Christy.
Civic Organizations: Lytton Fox Hunters
1. Why are you running for office? I’ve wanted to get more involved in our community for some time, and since we have two sons in the Evergreen School System, the School Board would be a great fit.
2. Why should people vote for you? I’m fiscally conservative, dedicated, possess good judgment, and common sense. I will listen to the thoughts and concerns of parents and voters in the school district and consider action on their suggestions.
3. What are your two main goals if elected? First goal is to ensure our Evergreen students are prepared for life after graduation, so they can succeed as they enter the work force or continue their education. My second goal is to make sure the School Board acts in a fiscally responsible manner at all times.
4. Have you held office before? I currently serve on the Fulton County Zoning Board of Appeals.
JEFF PAWLACZYK and MATT VACULIK are also running for board of education, but the Expositor to not receive questionnaires.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU